Sunday, February 2, 2014

Defense Wins Championships

The Seattle Seahawks proved the old adage true tonight in putting a WWE-style smackdown on the Denver Broncos 43-8 to capture the Super Bowl. My prediction of a 3 point Denver win was off just a little (to say the least!), but I'm not sure too many people saw this coming. But I think it is safe to say that the rout was spotted about 12 seconds into the game when a botched snap led to a safety, and it was all downhill from there for Denver. I can't help but think what this win for Seattle will do for the draft stock of defensive players going into the upcoming 2014 NFL Draft. Yes, having a franchise quarterback is important, don't get me wrong, but if you have a defense that can go facemask to facemask with the best in the game and completely shut them down like the Seahawks did then there are going to be a lot of teams rethink their draft plan and who they might take in May. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It was pointed out during the broadcast that the Seahawks defense was built from the back forward, and that is very much against the norm. A front four can get pressure on the quarterback if he doesn't have any one to throw to, and with Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor and friends in the secondary, it was nearly impossible all season for opponents of Seattle. Looking at the top draft prospects, I can easily see Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix, Calvin Pryor, Justin Gilbert, Darqueze Dennard, Jason Varrett and all of the top secondary prospects moving up the draft boards for the next three months. And if I were scouting for an NFL team, I'd take a look at corners that can physically match up with receivers even though they may not have the speed one has usually coveted. If a corner can win the battle off the line of scrimmage, it is easier to keep coverage throughout the play. Who needs catch up speed if you are already blanketing the target. With the season over, I'll start gathering my DSA Player Ranking data and putting out my own mock drafts. This is a time that I always look forward to, the time when hope springs eternal. Until that first bad draft pick for your team makes you yell out 'WHAT THE BLEEP WERE THEY THINKING!!!'

No comments:

Post a Comment