Friday, March 19, 2010

Mock Drafts Galore

Everywhere you look, someone has a mock draft. I'll have one soon enough. But there are two things I have noticed when looking at the drafts posted all over the Internet. Point #1, the top picks are the top picks, no matter where you look. Sam Bradford, Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy. They are the Top 3, and will most likely go in that order to St. Louis, Detroit and Tampa Bay. Point #2, the rest of the picks are scattered from the top to the bottom, and you are not likely to see agreement on who will go where.

So I had the idea to take all the information I could from mock draft everywhere and compile that info into what I hope is a useful tool. I call it the Draft Slot Average, or DSA. It's a simple concept. Take the positions that players are projected to go at, add them together and divide it by the number of drafts they are listed in. Simple enough in theory, and for a draftnik like myself it is like being in numbers heaven.

My first DSA list has 19 players listed on all the mock drafts I researched, and another 16 that were listed on at least 50% of the mocks. Of the 19 listed on all the drafts, Taylor Mays had the lowest average at 21.00. 5 players were graded at 21.00 or better of those on the remaining boards. Of those only Bruce Campbell had a DSA more than 1 full point better that Mays, and that is due to his outstanding workout at the Combine in Indianapolis. Before then many drafts did not even have him listed as a first rounder.

More research will be added to what I have already come up with and when I get the data I am looking for I'll be posting my Mock Draft based on the DSA scores. I'll put my Mock Draft up against anyone else. Let the Draft Games begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment